4.05.2007

The Fast or The Office?

I debated whether or not to post this due to Matthew 6:16-18...

16"And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 17But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, 18that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you."

But, that being said, I am a depraved and flawed human.

The wife and I have given up the TV for 6 weeks in an effort to draw closer to God and each other. But the first thought that went through my head was, "I'm going to miss The Office!" What an idiot. Would I rather spend my time watching a made up television show about a bunch of worker bees at a paper company or pressing into God to know Him and enjoy Him?

Am I worshiping, the Creator or the things He created for us to enjoy?

What is my focus, the goals I have set for myself or constantly pressing into God?

Just a few random scattered thoughts.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Just so you know it was hysterical last night. =) Hee hee! Good luck on the fast. We gave up food last time; I think I may have been that gloomy person spoken of.

Kim Wells said...

You don't know me, but I was excited and encouraged to read this post today. I have been fasting from TV and sugar for the last 33 days. I know that many times in the last month I have caught myself with a bad attitude about it. The TV has gotten much easier - although at the beginning I threw a bit of a tantrum about having to miss out on LOST. I have recognized that God doesn't want my reluctant sacrifice - I felt one day that God was saying to me that if I was going to complain about it I might as well not be doing it at all. I'm really encouraged to see someone else out there that had the same original reaction that I had. I will tell you - after 30 days, God has shown me how he is pruning me - he is getting in my face about my character and I am incredibly grateful. I hope that your time of fasting will produce lasting results in you that will pour out into the lives of those around you. Keep on friend, I encourage you to keep on.