2.20.2005

Strengths

Are you using your God given strengths to add value to your work? Do you even know what your strengths are? Too often we focus on correcting our weaknesses instead of honing our strengths. This is the premise for a book I read last year, Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald O. Clifton. Once you know which of the 34 strengths you’ve been given, the book will show you how to leverage them. For example, my top 5 are communication, ideation, WOO (winning others over), responsibility and significance.

Communication- I enjoy explaining, describing, speaking in front of people and sometimes even writing.

Ideation- Ideas fascinate me. I’m always looking for how things connect, line up or even how they could be done better.

WOO- I absolutely love meeting new people and getting them to like me. No strangers for me, just friends I’ve yet to meet.

Responsibility- Following through is huge for me. I want people to look to me first when they are assigning new responsibilities because they know it’ll get done. That leads to my final strength…

Significance- I really want to be significant in the eyes of others. I want to be known and appreciated for the unique strengths I’ve been given. (That also leads to pride being a huge issue for me…but that’s another blog.)

I highly encourage all to go out and purchase a copy of this wonderful book. Stop trying to correct what’s wrong and build on what’s right. This will increase your value immensely!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pure genius! Thanks for spreading the knowledge. Keep it coming.