3.29.2006

| Blue Grass? |

So last night was guys night out. The Bela Fleck and the Flecktones were amazing! I will discuss there set in my next post (or will I?). The opening act took the stage and my jaw dropped.

Rhonda Vincent and the Rage is a blue grass group full of talent. Picture this, 3 stage mics shared by 5 players:

  • The front woman / mandolin picker
  • The banjo strummer
  • The up-right bass slapper
  • The fiddle fiddler
  • The acoustic guitar mistro
Each one would move toward their shared mic for solos/highlights within each song. The really interesting thing about the show was watching this process. Each mic stand was straight up (no boom) which means they were set at a pretty low height (each person would 'hunch' over to sing). Also, the sound was not processed, so each note, vocal harmony, and riff was just hanging out there naked for the hall to hear.

Anywho, I'm not very good a painting pictures. Go check out their live album Ragin' Live. My favorite two tracks are 'Driving Nails' and 'I've Forgotten You'.

I let K listen to a few tracks today and she goes, 'this is country!!!' (it should also be noted that she requests ketchup when we go to Bob's) :P

1 comment:

Brian Vinson said...

The more bluegrass you see, the more you'll see that this is normal. There's a real emphasis on doing things the old fashioned way (which often means 1 mic instead of 3). You should try a bluegrass festival this summer.

-another Brian Vinson