8.11.2005

Tip Du Jour #1 - Quick URL Entry

I don't know if I've told everyone what I do now at my job...since I left the hospital. I now work at a help desk for a startup company. There are two of us supporting our product for about 200 customers currently. People call or write us for tips using our product and along the way we find out little tips for using everyday software (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Word, Excel, etc.). So on Thursdays I've decided to start sharing an everyday tip.

Todays tip is for all you internet junkies.

Quick URL entry:

Try this out on your favorite web browser...mine's Mozilla's Firefox. Go to the address bar and type the word 'weather' (without the quotes). Now hold your CTRL key and hit enter. Voila!!! I'm not going to tell you what happens...just try it (you'll get the weather channels website).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey B, I managed a support desk for several years before I became a SAHM (stay-at-home mom)soooo, if you need any tips on anything (besides the software of course)drop me a line -- I would love to help if I can. Any more business trips? :)

Anonymous said...

Yo B....Jlo here with another cool tip.

Ever run into situation where someone sends you a password protected Word document, but wants you to make changes?

Here's how to crack it if you are using the newer versions of Word:

If you are using office XP or 2003, you can change the view to HTML-Code using Microsoft Script-Editor by pressing the [Alt]+[Shift]+[F11] key combination.

Search for "Password" and you will find somethimg like this:
w:DocumentProtection>ReadOnly /w:DocumentProtection
w:UnprotectPassword>19E8E61E /w:UnprotectPassword

To remove the protection:
-Just remowe those two lines, and after saving the document , the protection is gone.

To remove the password:
-replace the Password, here "19E8E61E", with "00000000", save the Document and close "Script-Editor".

Alternative you can save your document as .html and use a html-Editor.

Anonymous said...

That was fun! That is a w to the third power time saver.

Anonymous said...

You under estimate the number of your customers. Sure there are 200 organizations, but if you have even 3 users at each org. the estimate of your customer base is closer at 600. Your job has many challenges and you are doing great keeping the boat afloat.