7.13.2005

Digital Duct Tape

Duct Tape can be used for just about anything (see Ductigami: The Art of the Tape) But what about Digital Duct Tape? Have you ever had to string something together that should have been fairly simple with all the technology we have? (I love technology...Always and forever) For example, I work for a small startup company in support services. We have created a 'web based' application which must be used on Firefox or I.E. by the user for us to support it properly. The organizations that use our product are familar with this, however, the 'end user' does not always know about this.

Friday we recieved a support request that required me to do some research on the 'In House Mac.' We were able to reproduce the issue on Safari but I needed to document what this 'looked like.' This is where the Digital Duct Tape comes in.

  • I did a Print Screen on the Mac (had to call Terry about that one)
  • Then I printed a hard copy of the print screen
  • Faxed it to our e-fax
  • Checked my email for the e-fax
  • Attached the e-fax to the support ticket
There you have it...Digital Duct Tape. (I know the whole process was not digital...but it sounds better than 'Technology Duct Tape.')

Ever used it?

No comments: